Thursday 28 October 2010

Black History Month

Over here in the UK its Black History month, A Month where black people celebrate their history. I view it just like Valentines Day, it should be celebrated and acknowledged everyday. Every day there is something to be thankful for, for if it wasn’t for our ancestors we would not be here today or have things we now use in everyday life. As a child I was often told of the many great black people in our history such as Harriet Tubman, Sojourner Truth, Martin Luther King , Malcolm X, Nelson Mandela etc I was also informed of the many things black people invented and contributed in this world. Did you know there was a black queen on England??, monarchy kept that one quiet! I was about 12 when I found that out too! Queen Charlotte was her name.

I am so grateful that I also attended Saturday Schools(Shout out to Queen Mother Moore and Afiwi Saturday schools) who made it their duty to inform and uplift us Children of colour and to demolish what schools were educating us, that we were “just slaves” and having Alex Haley Novel (and miniseries) Roots to furthermore prove that.

With that said though Happy Black History month, continue to learn more about your history and ancestors, learn and grow.

On a lighter note, I just wanna state this..



Tickles me every time!

No comments: