Sunday 12 September 2010

last nite a DJ saved my life...

...and he goes by the name of ?uestlove



This man right here is a man after my own heart, not only does he kills it with the serious 'boom-bat!'drumming skills, he also kills it when djing. The first time I encountered him djing was a couple of years ago after he finished performing with the roots and I was blown away.

I personally love digging through crate's of records and finding little gems. You hear a song, recognise the composition, the arrangement of strings,horn,drum patterns,you don't know the original but you recognise the loop made for a hip hop beat! my goodness those are little gems! To think how these original tracks were made, with no computers,full orchestra's,pure harmonies is out of this world for me, leaves me in awe, listen to some James Brown or Barry White! their arrangements will blow you away,sends you to nostalgia. ?uest finds those little gems and plays the remixes made by hip hop artist/producers.These remixes take on another meaning once looped,re-arranged, its like a never ending evolution of a track, imagine what will be produced in the next twenty years with people using J Dilla''s productions and evolving it into something even better! MADNESS!

Anywho I was in my element, East Village was packed to the brim,we were all head nodding,having eargasims,fed our souls of what we needed! sweated for three hours and rapping our hearts out, good vibes and all. I love watching this man work,his facial expressions when he rips some shit up simultaneously blends one track to another with the same drum pattern, pure BLISS! I would just love to sit in his record collection and get lost within it,that would be super fun!

If ?uestlove is ever around, spinning the wheels of steel or sarato in a city near you, I advise you GO and enjoy the experience!

No comments: